Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel is located in the heart of Scotland's capital, offering 5 star budget accommodation with 270 beds. This busy youth hostel offers a range of multi-share and private rooms, all en-suite. Premium rooms are also available, taking hostelling to a new level with TV and coffee making facilities. Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel is ideal for individuals, groups or families looking for quality, budget accommodation
Our licensed cafe, Haddington Place, offers tea, coffee and cake as well as snacks and meals throughout the day. There is also a dining room for breakfasts and group meals and a small self-catering kitchen and dining area downstairs.
Just 10 minutes on foot from Waverley Railway Station and the bus station, Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel is within walking distance of Edinburgh's main attractions, including Edinburgh Castle, the Royal Mile, the National Museum of Scotland, Dynamic Earth and the Scottish Parliament. Our accommodation is a short walk from Edinburgh Playhouse and the Omni Centre. Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel is a great place to stay when looking for accommodation during the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe Festival.
Want to see more? Take a look inside Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel.
NB: if we are fully booked please check our summer Youth Hostel: Edinburgh Metro Youth Hostel for July and August.
- Available & RentaHostel
- RentaHostel only
- Call Hostel for Availability
- Fully Booked
- Access with limited mobility
- Suitable for wheelchair users
Food and Drink
- Alcohol Licence
- Groups meals service
- Individual meals service
- Self-catering kitchen
- Bike store
- Conference & meeting facilities
- Distance to nearest shop Nearby
- Drying room
- En suite rooms available
- Family friendly
- Lockers/luggage store Coin Operated
- Private rooms available
- Suitable for groups
- Total beds 271
- Computers with internet access (FREE)
- WiFi access (FREE)
- Lounge/TV room
- Distance to airport 7 miles
- Distance to bus stop nearby
- Distance to ferry 15 miles
- Distance to train station 0.25 miles
For more information please download the full access statement for this youth hostel here. This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Open all year
Tel: 0131 524 2090
Reception open 24 hours.
Check in from 15:00
Check out 10:00.
Early check in and late check out if available from an extra £10 per room only.
Coach parking: We recommend that coaches park at Pringles Coach Park, Leith Mills, 70-74 Bangor Road, Edinburgh, EH6 5JU. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 0131 554 1317
All rooms are en-suite.
Premium twin and double rooms are available with TV/DVD and tea & coffee making facilities.
Food and drink - Continental or Scottish breakfast is available from 7:30 to 10:00 and our licensed Haddington Place Cafe is open from 7:30 to 23:00 (serving snacks and meals from 10:00 to 21:00)
Hairdryers, iron & ironing board and cards & games are available for free to use with a deposit. Shower gel, soaps and toiletries available to purchase from reception. Towels are available for hire (available free to private booked rooms).
For a printable version of this information click here to download youth hostel fact sheet.
Please note that we do not accept stag or hen parties at any of our hostels.
Tel: +44 (0) 131 524 2090
MapView Large Map
To start, simply enter the street name, town, city or postcode where you will be leaving from. Click the show route button and you will be directed to a map which shows your route, its distance and an estimated driving time. Very handy.
NB: Please take into account ferry times and sailings when planning trips to the islands.
Where can I go from here?
If you know where you're going next then life becomes so much easier. Click on any view route button to see detailed directions between hostels.
Remember: as you can book more than one hostel at once, building up an itinerary will be a piece of cake!
|Edinburgh Metro||View Route|
|Rowardennan Lodge||View Route|
As part of our commitment to sustainability and environmental issues, our youth hostels are assessed by Green Tourism, the largest and most established sustainable certification in the world. The assessment covers areas such as energy saving, waste minimisation, social responsibility and travel.
Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel currently holds a Silver award for Green Tourism. To read more about SYHA Hostelling Scotland’s Sustainability Charter, please click here. There are some quick and easy ways that you can make a difference and help us achieve our Green Tourism goals - to read our Responsible Visitor Charter and find out more, please click here.
We encourage our guests to use public transport where possible when travelling to our youth hostels – please see www.travelinescotland.com to plan your route or speak to youth hostel staff. If you are touring Scotland on two wheels then http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ has a wealth of information on cycling routes, safety and sustainable travel.
Links for local activities and attractions:
- Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh’s most famous attraction.
- Dynamic Earth - The Mother Earth of all adventures.
- Edinburgh Playhouse - The Edinburgh Playhouse has a number of quality theatre productions showing throughout the year.
- National Museum of Scotland - Explore the diversity of the natural world, world cultures, art and design, science and technology and Scottish history, all under one roof.
- Butterfly & Insect World - Enter a tropical rainforest with hundreds of butterflies and other exotic insects.
- Dalmeny House - Dalmeny House and estate.
- Musical Instrument Museums Edinburgh - Collection Of Historic Musical Instruments
- Real Mary King's Close - Hidden beneath the Royal Mile lies Edinburgh's deepest secret: a warren of hidden 'closes'.
- Rosslyn Chapel - Still a working church this beautiful and mysterious chapel has been made famous by "The Da Vinci Code".
- Royal Observatory Visitor Centre - A university astronomy research group, an establishment of a UK Research Council and a Visitor Centre all on one site.
- Royal Scottish Academy - The home of contemporary art in Scotland.
- Royal Yacht Britannia - Once the ocean-going home to Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family. Discover the heart and soul of this most special of royal residences. (SYHA members receive 10% off ticket price)
- Trinity House Maritime Museum - An outstanding collection of maritime memorabilia inside an elegant Georgian house.