Extending SYHA Youth Programmes
SYHA Youth Active Grants are provided by SYHA Hostelling Scotland to help young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to take part in a school or youth group residential trip.
The SYHA Youth Active Grants are available (subject to sufficient funds) to young people who may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience a residential trip due to their particular circumstances which result in social exclusion, deprivation or other disadvantage.
Teachers and Youth Leaders can apply for up to 40%* support for each eligible individual. Grants may be available to groups who have a provisional booking with a Scottish Youth Hostel in Scotland who have yet to pay the balance on their stay. Applications must be received at least ten weeks prior to arrival and grants are deducted from the final bill.
At SYHA we believe that every young person should have the opportunity to experience time away to build confidence, resilience, social and employability skills and have fun discovering new places. We hope by providing these grants we can contribute towards bridging the attainment gap for those children who come from from disadvantaged backgrounds.
2016 will be our first year to offer partial funding towards trips, allowing for the extension of the SYHA youth programmes, which have been operating since 2004 to include even more young people. Whether it is an educational or an experiential residential to the city or rural location we will welcome all applications for this funding.
Key outcomes from an SYHA Residential Trip
To apply, please complete the application form - click here.
Every application will be carefully considered.
*Funding will cover up to 40% of accommodation & food for each eligible participant subject to availability of funds.
- Applicable to participants who are:
- Included in Free School Lunches Programme as outlined by government or who are threatened with social exclusion caused by deprivation or other disadvantage.
- Travelling as part of an organized school or youth group trip.
- A UK resident.
- Will cover up to 40% of accommodation and food for each eligible participant.
- Does not apply to activities or travel costs. Separate travel grants may be available for visits to either of Scotland’s National Parks. Information provided on request.
- Will be deducted from your final bill. No cash alternatives.
- Cannot be combined with any other SYHA funded programme.
- Is not applicable to Travel Trade bookings.
SYHA Youth Active Grants would not be available without the generous support of our contributors including our guests and visitors donating at youth hostels, on-line or over the phone.
If you wish to support the SYHA Active Grant scheme you can click here to make a donation or simply add on a donation when you book with us at syha.org.uk.
To view our School Trips Brochure, click here.
To download an application form, click here.
Can you offer support for a unique SYHA Youth programme, such as Give Us a Break, or Life and Employability Skills (Through Outdoor learning)? Please contact Donna Thompson, email@example.com.