We at SYHA Hostelling Scotland believe that every young person should have the opportunity to explore and experience Scotland and to reap the huge benefits of a residential trip away. The SYHA Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund aims to enable this by supporting disadvantaged young people from youth groups and schools to stay any Scottish youth hostel.
Download form here: SYHA Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund
- The SYHA Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund is funded by SYHA as a self-funding charity and our supporters. We only have a limited amount of funding available and aim to support those young people most in need. Please make it clear in your application why you feel your group should receive this funding.
- The SYHA Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund will be used to cover accommodation (and SYHA catering costs for any catering provided). Successful groups will be required to pay a contribution of £15 per person per night.
- Transport and other costs, including any activity costs are the responsibility of the group.
- Youth Groups, Schools, Colleges, and other registered Charities are all eligible to apply for funding.
- Target groups are: young people in receipt of free schools meals, young carers, young people with disabilities, care experienced young people, disadvantaged young people who have never had a residential experience.
- Young people are classed as those aged 8 to 25 years.
- Groups can choose to go to any SYHA Hostel within the SYHA network (not affiliate hostels) and leaders are required to choose a location in partnership with the young people they work with. Information on each hostel is available at www.syha.org.uk
- Group leaders will be responsible for the planning of programmes and activities during the trip (in partnership with young people) and for the supervision of all young people in their care at all times.
- Minimum of 10 young people and maximum of 20 young people per group. Schools may bring a larger group, but a maximum of 20 young people will be eligible to receive a funded place.
- Minimum 1 night to Maximum 3 night stay
- The trip can take place at any time until 31st December 2018 (depending on availability)
- Accommodation will be in shared private rooms for young people, with separate rooms for Group leaders.
- The hostels which can provide full catering are Aviemore, Cairngorm, Crianlarich, Edinburgh Central, Glasgow, Glen Nevis Inverness, Oban, Pitlochry, Rowardennan and Stirling. Full catering will include breakfast, packed lunch and a 2 course meal. Most other hostels can provide continental breakfast and a packed lunch but groups will be required to make arrangements for their own evening meals (there are self-catering kitchens available). There is no catering at Glen Affric, Loch Ossian, Newton Stewart and Perth.
- Successful groups must contact SYHA to confirm their acceptance of the trip within 4 weeks or risk forfeiting their funding offer.
- Groups must complete an evaluation form following their trip.
Brilliant Residentials Criteria
SYHA supports Learning Away. Learning Away aim to promote and champion residential learning to enable more young people to benefit from these experiences, and to ensure more effective and high-quality residential experiences. They have undertaken research and identified that a Brilliant Residential should:
- Have clear learning objectives based on young peoples’ needs
- Be co-designed with young people (and led by young people where appropriate)
- Be inclusive and affordable for all young people
- Include a plan to follow up on the experiences/learning after the residential
- Please make it clear in your application how you will work towards delivering a Brilliant Residential. For more information please go to learningaway.org.uk.
The SYHA Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund would not be available without the generous support of our contributors including our guests and visitors donating at youth hostels, on-line or over the phone.
If you wish to support the fund you can simply add on a donation when you book with us at syha.org.uk.
To view our School Trips Brochure, click here.