Achmelvich Beach Youth Hostel exhibits many examples of "best practice" with Green Highlights including:
- Manager, Jorine, is a volunteer director of Culag Community Woods and the youth hostel is used as venue for community events, including a Hogmanay ceilidh.
- Links with local Brownies & Rainbow groups - who built the insect hostel which can be found in the Garden
- Regularly works with other crofts in a skills & materials barter system e.g. neighbour donates vegetables & flowers in return for chicken food
- Fairtrade tea & coffee available on site and links with a Fairtrade shop in village.
- Waste is separated & recycled - staff take to recycling point. This helps to reduce landfill waste
- Although remote the site has made an effort to promote public transport, including the summer and winter bus service