We are here to provide you with news, features and comment. Quality media coverage is important to us and we look forward to working with you. Our stories reflect SYHA Hostelling Scotland’s leading role in helping all, but especially young people, to experience Scotland’s natural heritage and places of historic and cultural interest. We do that by providing quality, affordable accommodation with a friendly welcome for anyone travelling around our beautiful country.
More than just a bed, our youth hostels offer a unique experience. They provide the chance to meet like-minded people with similar interests and our staff are well known as a great source of local knowledge and information.
With a network of over 60 properties right across Scotland, our hostels range from crofts to country houses, from smart city hostels to remote eco hostels. They all provide a perfect base for the wealth of activities that take in the best of Scotland, from outdoor pursuits and wildlife watching to exploring Scotland’s culture and heritage.
For further information, images, requests for interviews and press trips, please contact:
Marketing Department (Monday - Friday 08:45 - 17:00)
T: 01786 891306
Press and Blogger Trips
Thank you for your interest in SYHA Hostelling Scotland. We would love to assist every journalist or blogger with accommodation to facilitate their exploration of Scotland’s stunning beauty, fascinating history and vibrant culture. However, as we are a not-for-profit accommodation provider there are times when this might not be possible.
In order to help us help you with planning your press trip, please:
- Provide a minimum of three business weeks' notice for a visit
- Complete a Press Trip Form and return to email@example.com
- If you wish to photograph/interview staff or guests please include this on your form
Requests will then be processed and a member of the team will be in touch within 2-3 days.
Latest Press Releases
|Date||Title||Link to Full Release (PDF)|
|05/02/17||People are at the heart of SYHA Hostelling Scotland!||Click|
|30/12/16||SYHA continues to champion ‘social tourism’ in Scotland||Click|
|15/12/16||Discover your adventurous spirit with SYHA in 2017||Click|
|23/10/1||SYHA collaborates with Glasgow Caledonian University||Click|
|11/09/16||Stirling Welcomes SYHA’s Tartan Design Competition Exhibition||Click|
|21/07/16||SYHA’s Glasgow Metro Youth Hostel Awarded Three Stars by VisitScotland||Click|
|03/07/16||SYHA Hostelling Scotland Announces Tartan Competition Winner||Click|
|16/05/16||All-new Peregrine TV and Signs at Easier-to-find NNR||Click|
|14/04/16||Summer Metro Hostels 2016||Click|
|04/04/16||Summer Youth Hostel Returns to Glasgow||Click|
|30/03/16||Portree Youth Hostel Builds on Success||Click|
|11/01/16||SYHA Launches Tartan Competition||Click|
For archive press releases please click here.
- SYHA Hostelling Scotland currently has a network of over 60 youth and affiliate hostels throughout Scotland.
- We encourage the promotion of knowledge, health, recreation, social responsibility and fellowship, access to and stewardship of Scotland’s natural heritage, landscapes and places of historic and cultural interest.
- SYHA supports youth and education sectors to facilitate active participation in outdoor education, recreational activities and sport, both at home and abroad with the provision of an itinerary service and discounted accommodation for group and youth leaders.
- As a charity we rely on our members and guests to ensure the continuation of hostelling in Scotland, supporting our charitable youth programmes and the maintenance of the hostelling network.
- We run social inclusion and education programmes sponsored by commercially funded bursaries. We work closely with other youth and education charities to promote membership of registered youth organisations and participation in diverse volunteering activities to benefit society.
- SYHA provides facilities and services in remote non commercially viable locations e.g. Glen Affric, Loch Ossian on Rannoch Moor, Glenbrittle in the Cullins, Achmelvich Beach in Sutherland, Torridon and Glencoe.
- SYHA Hostelling Scotland listens to members’ and customers' feedback and, in response to the evolving market, now provides many more single, twin and family private rooms with en-suite facilities, in addition to the traditional dormitory style accommodation.
- With approximately 15,000 registered members, of which over 7,000 are life members, SYHA Hostelling Scotland is the largest participant in the hostel market in Scotland.
- Attracting more than 400,000 overnight guests each year – of which about 40% are from outwith Scotland – the organisation accounts for a valued contribution of over £20 million to the Scottish economy per annum.
- SYHA Hostelling Scotland is an 86 year old organisation and is in continuous need of funding to help sustain the unique network of special sites and experiences throughout Scotland.
- We are a member of the worldwide community of Hostelling International, which offers members and guests amazing experiences in over 4,000 Youth Hostels in more than 90 countries.
- SYHA Hostelling Scotland is part of the Visit Scotland Hostel Quality Assurance Scheme and the largest participant in the Green Tourism Business Scheme in Scotland. Several of our youth hostels have obtained Gold Green Tourism status, including Loch Ossian, Torridon, Ullapool, Lochranza and Port Charlotte.