We at Hostelling Scotland we believe that every young person should have the opportunity to explore and experience Scotland and to reap the huge benefits of a residential trip away. The Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund aims to enable this by supporting disadvantaged young people from youth groups and schools to stay in a Hostelling Scotland youth hostel anywhere in Scotland.
The Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund is funded by Hostelling Scotland and our supporters. We only have a limited amount of funding available and aim to support those young people most in need. Please make it clear in your application why you feel your group should receive this funding.
Download application form here: Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund
Who is eligible?
- Youth Groups, Schools, Colleges, and other registered charities are all eligible to apply for funding.
- Young people are classed as those aged 8 to 25 years.
- Target groups include: disadvantaged young people, young people living in areas of deprivation, young people in receipt of free schools meals, young carers, young people with disabilities, care experienced young people and young people who have never had a residential experience.
- Minimum of 10 young people and maximum of 20 young people per group. Schools and Youth groups may bring a larger group, but a maximum of 20 young people will be eligible to receive a funded place.
Where and when?
- Groups can choose to go to any Hostelling Scotland hostel within the Hostelling Scotland network (not affiliate hostels) information on each hostel is available at syha.org.uk/where-to-stay/
- The trip can take place at any time until 31st December 2018 (depending on availability in the chosen hostel/s)
- Minimum 1 night to Maximum 3 night stay
- The Hostelling Scotland Explorer Fund will be used to cover both accommodation and catering costs. Successful groups will be asked to pay a small contribution of £15 per person per night.
- Accommodation will be in shared private rooms for young people, with separate private rooms provided for Group leaders.
- Groups can have full catering during their trip where available. Full catering includes breakfast, packed lunch and a 2 course evening meal. The hostels which can provide full catering are: Aviemore, Cairngorm Lodge, Crianlarich, Edinburgh Central, Glasgow, Glen Nevis, Inverness, Oban, Pitlochry, Rowardennan Lodge and Stirling. Most other hostels can provide breakfast and a packed lunch but groups will be required to make arrangements for their own evening meals. Braemar, Durness Smoo, Kirkwall, Gairloch Sands, Port Charlotte and Tobermory only offer breakfast. There is no catering at Achmelvich Beach, Glen Affric, Loch Ossian, Newton Stewart and all Metro hostels. Where groups choose not to have full catering we may ask for a smaller contribution per person.
- As a membership organisation all groups require membership to stay with us, however membership fees will be covered by the contribution of each group.
- Group leaders will be responsible for the planning of programmes and activities during the trip (in partnership with young people) and for the supervision of all young people in their care at all times.
- Transport costs and any Activity costs are the responsibility of the group.
- Successful groups must contact Hostelling Scotland to confirm their acceptance of the trip within 4 weeks or risk forfeiting their funding offer.
- Groups must complete an evaluation form following their trip.
Brilliant Residentials Criteria
Hostelling Scotland supports Learning Away in promoting residential learning to enable more young people to benefit from these experiences, and to ensure more effective and high-quality residential experiences. A Brilliant Residential should:
- Be co-designed with young people (and led by young people where appropriate)
- Have clear learning objectives based on young peoples’ needs
- Be inclusive and affordable for all young people
- Include a plan to follow up on the experiences/learning after the residential.
Please make it clear in your application how you will work towards delivering a Brilliant Residential.