- KIRK02218 & KIRK02318
- Seasonal Hostel Assistant
- Kirkwall Youth Hostel, Old Scapa Road. Kirkwall, Orkney KW15 1BB
- Hours per Week:
- KIRK02218 – 40 hours per week & KIRK02318 – 25 hours per week
- Salary Details:
- £7.50 per hour
- Live in accommodation can be provided (Note there will be a small weekly charge)
- Fixed Term, proposed start from 26/Mar/18 until 30/Sep/18
We are currently seeking self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals with commitment to provide an excellent customer service to join our team at our Kirkwall Youth Hostel which is located on the edge of the historic burgh on Orkney.
You will be part of our professional and dedicated team and will ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
The main responsibilities:
- Full reception duties, general customer service, cleaning, housekeeping (including bed making) and laundry, some catering duties to provide small breakfast as well as day-to-day running of hostel including providing covers during manager’s absence.
- Active selling of SYHA products as well as basic shop items.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a customer facing role, preferably in similar hospitality surroundings
- Gained experience in catering, reception, cash handling, will be IT literate
- Keen attention to details.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Flexibility and adaptability as well as a can-do attitude and the ability to work under pressure will be an important attribute of the candidate.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- To help with the upkeep of the premises, the ideal candidates have some interest and experience in basic maintenance and gardening.
- Kirkwall Youth Hostel operates with a small close knit team and requires successful candidates to live and work closely with colleagues. It is therefore essential that all members are capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience.
- The role involves physical activities such as bed making on upper and lower bunk beds, including stripping and turning beds on a daily basis.
- The post holder will have flexibility to work in order to support the Youth Hostel including working on weekends and undertaking night shifts duties as and when required.
- A successful candidate is required to provide satisfactory reference and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on SYHA and obtain job description for this role and an application form, please visit, www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements, then please forward your application form with covering letter to email@example.com or Daniel Osborne, Hostel Operations Manager, c/o SYHA Hostelling Scotland, National Office, 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling, FK8 2JA.
- Closing Date:
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. Candidates who have not received written confirmation within two weeks of the closing date for the position should then consider themselves unsuccessful.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.