- Hostel Assistant /Kitchen Porter
- Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL
- Hours per Week:
- 40 hours per week
- Salary Details:
- £7.50 per hour
- Live Out
- Fixed term, immediate start until 31/Oct/18
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We currently have an opening for a Hostel Assistant/ Kitchen Porter based at our 5-star Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel which is located in the heart of Scotland’s capital and within walking distance of main attractions and local amenities in Edinburgh.
The main responsibilities of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- To maintain the standards of cleanliness and hygiene in the kitchen at all times including washing all dishes and to receive and store food deliveries, in addition undertaking general hostel assistant duties to help out other department as and when required such as reception, housekeeping, etc.
Routine duties and responsibilities:
- Cleaning all kitchens and catering equipment, ensuring they are stored correctly and neatly
- Washing all dishes, sweeping/mopping floors, emptying bins, and receiving and storing of food deliveries.
- Generally assisting with the smooth operation of our busy Restaurant, Bistro and Conference Room and other departments.
Suitable candidate will have:
- This hostel runs at a high occupancy level and therefore you will have a commitment to high standards of customer service
- Previous experience in a similar environment
- Good communication and time management skills, ability to follow instructions
- Ability to work in a team well and keen attention to details.
- Due to the nature of the role, the post holder will be required to work some shift such as working from 7.00am in the morning, working late shift around midnight, and weekends and split shift as and when required.
The following skill sets and experience would be an advantage:
- Experience of working in the hospitality/ catering industry including previous experience undertaking large group catering
as waiting staff or kitchen assistant within busy catering environment, or pastry chef
- Relevant certificates (e.g. Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate) or knowledge of HACCP and COSHH
- Experience of kitchen equipment (i.e. steam oven, slicer, dish washer etc).
- A successful candidate is required to provide two satisfactory references (one to be from a recent employer) and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on SYHA and to obtain job description and an application form to apply, please visit: www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward your application form with covering letter to Duty Manager, Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL or email@example.com
- Closing Date:
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. Candidates who have not received written confirmation within two weeks of the closing date for the position should then consider themselves unsuccessful.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.