- Hostel Assistant
- Glasgow Youth Hostel, 7/8 Park Terrace, Glasgow, G3 6BY
- Hours per Week:
- 40 hours per week
- Salary Details:
- £7.50 per hour
- This is a live-out position.
- Fixed term, immediate start for 23 months
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We currently have an opening for a Hostel Assistant based at our 4-star Glasgow Youth Hostel which is situated in the historic west end of Scotland’s largest city, overlooking Kelvingrove Park.
The main responsibility of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations
- A full reception service to hostel guests including check-in/out, handling customer enquiries and providing information, guidance and support for guests and their onward travels, general customer service in line with our Customer Service Charter.
- Housekeeping, laundry and catering duties, e.g. providing assistance to the chef during breakfast, dinners and function service, waiting tables, cooking and preparing foodstuffs as well as cleaning and washing up.
Suitable applicant will have:
- Worked successfully in a similar customer facing role with previous experience in hospitality industry,
- Excellent communication skills, gained experience in cash handling, and will have good IT literacy.
- Keen attention to details.
- Ability to work as an effective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Good understanding of food and hygiene practice.
The following skills sets and experience would be an advantage:
- A good knowledge of the local and surrounding area, to be able to deliver first class guest information and help with travel planning as well as giving our guests inspiration on how to make the most of their stay in the area.
- Staff will be trained in all areas and will rotate through a variety of shifts to ensure everyone is capable of covering the various aspects of the hostel running.
- You must be capable and willing to assist each other and maintain team morale to ensure a positive environment for guest experience.
- The post holder may undertake occasional night shift duties.
- The role also involves some physical activities such as bed making of bunk beds with upper and lower beds, including stripping and turning beds.
- A successful candidate is required to provide satisfactory reference and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information on this position and to obtain job description and application form please visit: www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward an application form with covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Duty Manager, Glasgow Youth Hostel, 7/8 Park Terrace, Glasgow, G3 6BY.
- Closing Date:
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. Candidates who have not received written confirmation within two weeks of the closing date for the position should then consider themselves unsuccessful.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.