- Hostel Assistant
- Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL
- Hours per Week:
- 30 hours per week
- Salary Details:
- £7.50 per hour
- Not available
- Fixed term, immediate start until 30/Nov/18
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland whilst delivering the best possible standards of Customer Service to our guests.
We currently have an opening for Hostel Assistant based at our 5-star Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel which is located in the heart of Scotland’s capital and within walking distance of main attractions and local amenities in Edinburgh.
The main responsibilities of this post:
- To ensure that all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
- To maintain the overall cleanliness of the hostel’s guest rooms to a high standard by cleaning all assigned areas including public areas thoroughly on a daily basis and performing deep cleaning projects as assigned, and also to assist other departments undertaking various general hostel assistant duties.
Routine duties and responsibilities:
- Making and stripping beds, laundry, cleaning including bathrooms and toilets, corridors and lists, and polishing floors, windows, mirrors and all other surfaces, vacuuming, shampooing carpets, removing all litter from the room, dusting thoroughly all surface
- Reporting maintenance issues to Hostel Management
- Undertaking general hostel duties to assist other departments within the Youth Hostel such as reception service, catering and kitchen porter duties.
Suitable candidate will have:
- Good understanding of cleaning systems, awareness of COSHH with eye for details are essential for this role.
- Professional presentation and approach to work and have worked successfully in a similar customer facing role
- Excellent customer service skill as well as excellent communication skills,
- Flexibility and adaptability as well as a can-do attitude, the ability to work under pressure and as an affective team member as well as unsupervised.
- Time management skill
- A job holder must be able to work mainly day shift and the occasional evening hours including weekends.
- The role involves some physical activities such as making or stripping beds or turning over mattresses on upper and lower bunk beds.
- Applications will be considered favourably from candidates with previous housekeeping experience, knowledge of the local and surrounding area, and an understanding of more than one language.
- A successful candidate is required to provide satisfactory reference and to apply for a Basic Disclosure before they can commence their employment with SYHA.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
To obtain job description and an application form, please visit: www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements please forward your application form with covering letter to Duty Manager firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Duty Manager, Edinburgh Central Youth Hostel, 9 Haddington Place, Edinburgh, EH7 4AL.
- Closing Date:
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. Candidates who have not received written confirmation within two weeks of the closing date for the position should then consider themselves unsuccessful.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.