- Duty Manager
- Student Residence Office, c/o Perth College UHI, Crieff Road, Perth, PH1 2GA
- Hours per Week:
- Salary Details:
- Fixed term, immediate start until 31/Aug/18
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who understands our charitable objectives and can commit themselves to place people at the heart of SYHA, welcoming all guests through our inclusive and accessible culture, embracing diversity as well as understanding different needs of everyone who has contact with SYHA Hostelling Scotland.
We are currently seeking to appoint a Duty Manager who supports the Student Residence Manager in assisting with matters relating to student residence during academic term and looking after hostel guests during summer period based within Perth College Campus in Perth as representatives of SYHA Hostelling Scotland.
The main responsibility of this post:
- Ensure the highest standards of customer service, hygiene, health and safety during specific shift hours at Student Residence Halls.
- Duties will include providing reception service, point of contact for emergency and in the event to take appropriate action during Student Residence Manager’s absence, working closely with college personnel to provide assistance in matters such as student welfare support, student discipline, notifying accidents/incidents, monitoring the functionality of the property and equipment repairs and maintenance requirements and escalate as appropriate.
- The post holder will also be responsible for cleaning and janitorial duties as directed by the Student Residence Manager.
- Ensure that, during summer period, all youth hostel customer services and guest facility provisions are welcoming, clean, comfortable, secure, safe, accessible, and maintained to the appropriate quality standard within the resources priorities available to enhance guest experience and expectations.
Suitable candidates will have:
- Customer service experience in the hospitality, tourism or other service industries working at supervisory level.
- Strong time management and organisational skills;
- Confident communication/ interpersonal skills;
- Ability to access and escalate conflict situations as required;
- Good working knowledge of computers; and
- Good understanding of Health and Safety at work;
- Ability to work unsupervised and at night
- The role involves some degree of physical activities such as bed making of bunk beds with upper and lower beds, turning mattresses, etc.
- A job holder must be able to work night shifts, and on weekends and public holidays.
- It is not essential, but applications will be considered favourably from candidates who have a good knowledge or experience working in a similar role within the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Being able to access the work place within 30 minutes in order to respond to emergency call outs would be an advantage
- The role is primarily based on night time working however it may involve undertaking day shift when Student Residence Manager is off-duty.
- The job holder must also either hold a valid First Aid Certificate or be prepared to undertake that training to become a certified First Aider.
Please also note that SYHA will ask successful candidate to provide two satisfactory references (one to be from either your current or the most recent employer in the last 6 months) and to become a member of PVG Scheme and satisfactory PVG disclosure clearance is required before commencing this role.
SYHA Hostelling Scotland is a self-funding charity operating a network of over 60 exceptional youth and affiliate hostels for the benefit of all those wishing to learn and experience what Scotland has to offer. Our unique sites provide affordable, comfortable, safe and quality-assured accommodation with a warm friendly welcome, local knowledge, activities and services for guests travelling around Scotland.
How to apply:
Further information in relation to this position and to obtain an application form, please visit www.syha.org.uk. If you think you have the skills and experience to match our requirements, please complete an application form (available on our website) and send to email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Noel McNeilly, Student Residence Manager, c/o Student Residences Office, Perth College, Crieff Road, Perth, PH1 2GA.
- Closing Date:
Please note SYHA operates a policy where only successful applicants will be contacted. Candidates who have not received written confirmation within two weeks of the closing date for the position should then consider themselves unsuccessful.
SYHA has a commitment to Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
Scottish Youth Hostels Association (also known as SYHA Hostelling Scotland) is a registered Scottish charity, No. SC013138 and a company limited by guarantee, registered in Scotland, No. SC310841, Registered Office 7 Glebe Crescent, Stirling FK8 2JA.